Friday, August 7, 2009

Ryan Matthew

Ryan's first night was not what I thought it would be. Since I had to have a c-section and had to take a lot more medicine than I wanted to or thought I would have to; I was very out of it. I didn't react very well to the meds and was getting sick from it. Since I was still out of it for quite some time after the surgery we went ahead and had Ryan stay in the nursery for the night. They brought him back to feed though. I was a little upset about not keeping him but I was able to spend some time with him before they put him in the nursery and realized for myself that I was just not going to be able to do it. Some time during the night, at one of his feedings, I could feel myself slowly coming around and the meds wearing off. However, I was still not able to keep anything down (and I was only allowed to have water and ice chips but I couldn't keep those down). The next morning after seeing the pediatrician Ryan came back to the room and we kept him the rest of the day. The pediatrician came in and said Ryan was doing great. He had ran a little bit of a fever right after birth but was doing great now. Jonathan and I spent the morning staring at him and loving on him. Guests started arriving shortly after 10 and kept coming for most of the day. Ryan did really well with seeing everyone. He spent the next day doing pretty much the same thing. He slept pretty well and the nurses in the nursery just loved him. There was one in particular that really adored him. We were able to leave the hospital on Wednesday to go home since we were both doing well. It was so nice to be able to go home and we were excited to show our baby his new home. The first night was rough, he didn't seem to want to sleep unless he was being held. So, against my better judgement and the need for at least a little sleep, he did sleep with me in bed for a little bit. The next night he did a little better but still has at least one fit a night. The days have been pretty good and overall I think he is going to be a great baby. He is eating well and for the most part has only one bad crying fit a day were we can't seem to figure out what he wants (I just wish it was during the day and not at night). He had his first doctor's visit on Thursday since his billirupen levels (that causes jaundice) were a little high on Wednesday. They were the same on Thursday; which the doctor said was good and meant that the jaundice would go down now (he said it levels off and then goes down). Ryan weighed in at 6lbs 13oz so he had lost some weight but that is normal and they weren't worried about it. They don't need to see him back until his two week visit next Friday. So, overall everything is going really well. Jonathan and I are starting to get the hang of things and trying to get in to some sort of a routine.

Visits from family.

Jennifer wanted to change his clothes; just had to get him in something cute.

Long night, they fell asleep together.

Jonathan had to change most of the diapers at the hospital since I couldn't move very well due to the c-section.

Just looking at him.

Loving on him.

Dr. Steele and Ryan: My OB and the doctor who delivered Ryan.

Getting all our paperwork to leave.
Car ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment